Tuesday 12 June 2012

Dissertation proposal

UPDATE: Final topic changed, after feedback from dissertation supervisor. New topic: documentary.
______________________________________


My dissertation proposal is now submitted. 

Main topic:

How are religion, philosophy and mythology used in the works of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien?

Key words:
•             Philosophy
•             Religion
•             Mythology
•             Childhood
•             Adaption

The aim of this dissertation is to question and explore how religion, philosophy and mythology is used on a conscious level in fantasy literature and film. I would like to argue that behind the greatest literary works and films are a deep meaning.

I intend to take a deeper look into the great works of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, more specifically The Narnia Chronicles and The Lord of Rings, discovering the philosophical and religious elements. Both authors were in “the Inklings”, a literary discussion group associated with University of Oxford in England. I’m very much passionate about fantasy literature because when I was growing up as a child the stories helped me expand my imagination and I firmly believe that the values taught in the books are values that can be applied in real life. I believe this so much that last I had the lion Aslan from the Narnia Chronicles tattooed on my left leg. 

1 comment: